Babson Business: Desserts by Tawny Ong
Name of business: Desserts by Tawny Ong; http://www.tawnyong.com
• Mission: To open a bakery in NYC as well as continue my catering business
• Where: NYC (East or Greenwich Village)
• Began in : June 2008
• Initial Investment: Commercial equipment, license and insurance…I bake to order and cater for events big and small…so really depends on client’s order. My answers will be different, once I have my bakery set-up.
• Founder: Tawny Ong; Babson alum; firstname.lastname@example.org, 917.687.2640
• Employees: 1 (myself)…for now.
• How The Idea Began: Followed my nose to a cupcake bakery, looked around and loved it…said to myself…I can do this!
• Initial Preparation to Germinate Idea: Worked at a bakery for three years, worked my way up from serving customers, to icing cupcakes, to baker, to icing cakes to assistant mgr…I also attended classes at Institute of Culinary Education (ICE). In June 2008 I created my business and let my family and friends know that I cater desserts.
• Favorite Thing about the Business: Happy to have clients enjoy my desserts as much as I do baking them.
• Worst Thing about the Business: Dishes….and trying to deliver in NYC.
• Biggest Challenge: Currently still looking for a home for my bakery. I already have my team set in place ready to go once we find a retail space.
• Lesson Learned: All you have is your education, willingness and if you’re lucky…to be surrounded by good people.