It’s not who you know, it’s who knows you

As I was sitting in on a college marketing internship event, a particular quote inspired me to reflect on my experience: It’s not about who you know anymore, it’s who knows you. It is not enough to simply show up. You have to make your mark in today’s world. Some of the best advice I have heard from professionals at Sony is to build relationships everywhere you go. Building relationships and making an impression will open opportunities in the future.

While who you know may provide access to new opportunities, it does not stand alone. You must show your willingness to learn and grow in the process. You want to be that intern the team says when the company has an opening. The reality is that the market is competitive, and you must find ways to stand out. I believe this all ties to having a passion for what you do. If you are passionate, putting in extra effort and asking questions will come naturally. No matter what you do, or where you are, if you work hard, have a positive attitude, and show your commitment to the team, you will stand out.