Entering the Internship World

My name is Kristen and I am currently a rising junior at Babson College. I am concentrating in Accounting and I hope to take some finance and strategic management classes as well. For the summer, I am working at the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. For those of you who do not know, the SEC is in charge of protecting investors and maintaining fair and orderly markets here in the United States. I am specifically working in the enforcement division doing forensic accounting. As a forensic accountant we investigate Pyramid and Ponzi schemes as well as insider trading cases. My role as a summer intern is to review and collect data for the cases I am assigned to make sure all details are correct before the case is taken to the Federal Court. At the SEC in Boston there are also several Law Interns that work on the litigation side of these cases. Our work is intertwined so I am also collaborating with 5 of the law interns on a daily basis. This is giving me a stronger background in law. My internship is 10 weeks long, and I hope that over the course of the internship I will be assigned several forensic cases and hopefully see the outcome of them in the news in the near future. Most of the work that I am doing this summer is confidential until the cases are made public, so hopefully throughout this blog I will be able to update viewers on the progress of the cases as they become public!