Benefits of Having an Internship
As my internship has come to an end, I have thought about some advantages of getting work experience in college. Students who have done several internships are more likely to land a job after graduation and get higher salaries than their peers with no work experience. Here are some other advantages of having an internship experience:
- Internships expand your network. They are a great way to meet people in the filed you are interested in, and why not, potential employers. An internship allows you to connect with people who may help you in your job search or who simply will write a reference when needed.
- Internships help you improve your communication and teamwork skills. These skills are among the top sought-for qualities by employers. During an internship experience, you have to interact with fellow interns and your supervisor in a professional environment that will prepare you for a future job.
- Internships help you gain work experience.Â An internship is more than applying what you have already learnt in the classroom: it also gives you the opportunity to gain experience that you cannot get here. Oftentimes, companies are willing to extend a job offer to people who have previously done internships for them because they consider these individuals to be better prepared for the responsibilities and challenges of the position.
- Internships help you find out your interests and passions. In the case you are unsure about what you want to do after graduating, an internship can be a great way to discover your strengths and weaknesses.
- Internships help you gain confidence. After you have completed an internship, you feel more prepared to work in a professional environment because you already experienced how itâ€™s like to work in a company.
All in all, an internship experience helps you stand out when looking for a job, enhances your resume and helps you develop better work habits. Also, having work experience will make you a desirable candidate for any company and will prove your initiative oriented towards career development.