Four is Better than One

They say practice makes perfect, and I would tend to agree to that statement. What they don’t say however, is that perfection is useless. I say that, because I understand what it means to challenge myself, and that there is no limit to how well or how fast I can do something. To be perfect at something means that you have reached the tonic point and that further improvement is impossible. Given that there is no challenge past perfection, it is not something I ever seek to attain.

This summer I am working as a full time consultant, growing my start-up, leading a social entrepreneurship initiative, and best of all enjoying my time living in and exploring Tel Aviv. That may seem like a lot to some, but for me, it’s the optimal point at which I manage my time and redirect my energy into the things that truly matter most. Perfection is impossible for me because as soon as I get very good at doing something, I find a way to make it harder. Of course it’s a challenge to do that many things at once successfully, and that’s exactly the point.

As I’ve begun doing work with Deloitte in the field of innovation consulting and the sourcing of talent from Israeli startups, I’ve also started to notice the innovations around me. With that said, there are a few things I’ve come across during my time here that I feel the urgent need to share.

1. Uber Tel Aviv – Uber is one of my favorite companies. It has an ingenious business development platform, and its business pitch is so effective that it almost goes unsaid. The good news is that Uber will soon be offered in Tel Aviv and maybe even pick up a few new good ideas from its presence here.
  2. El Bulli Foundation – Ferran Adria, one of my all-time favorites, chef and innovator, is closing his restaurant. The bittersweet news comes with the excitement of a foundation that will be established to better promote the idea of innovation and creativity through outlets beyond just the principles of food. Adria argued that he was limited in his ability to inspire creativity through just food, and that through this new initiative ‘we’ as he refers to himself, will be able to expand the message.
  3. Interlude – Yoni Bloch is the founder and chief executive of the startup Interlude. This one is best presented the way it was designed to be, so take a second and look it up.