Travels through London

Hello from foreign lands!

I have been in London with Madeline and LIly for little over a month now, participating in the internship and LSE study through the Honors Program at Babson. It makes little sense for me to tell you all we have been doing and how amazing it is to be in a city so full of culture and adventure. Between the music/history festival on the grass on the outskirts of London to the 3 hour karaoke adventures we had 5 minutes from the dorm, London is a place that people should experience for themselves at least once. And if you’re like me and get addicted to excitement easily, you’ll already be planning your next trip back. But something I discovered when I was writing my reflection journal was the application of the concept of Need pleasures and pleasures of Appreciation that C.S. Lewis talks about in his book The Four Loves. Need pleasure is a satisfaction that fulfills a previous desire, such as a drink of water when one is parched. Pleasures of Appreciation are pleasant and unexpected satisfactions that one can do without, such as the smell of fresh cut grass. Before this trip, traveling had always been a pleasure of Appreciation, I was happy to pack up a suitcase and fly all over the world, but I would have been just as happy catching a few Z’s in my bed at home. But after seeing so much in such a short period of time, I have realized that there is so much to explore and so little time. London has transformed traveling and discovering into a Need pleasure for me. I now feel this constant desire to go from place to place and try to soak up as much as I possibly can. I’m excited by this new chapter in my life and can’t wait to come back with more updates!

Cheers!

Elena