Meet the Undergrad CCD Team

Jaime Doherty

What is your role in CCD?
Interim Director / Senior Associate Director, Corporate Relations

How long have you been working at Babson?
19 years this September (8+ years in CCD)

What do you love most about working in CCD and/or Babson?
“The CCD staff is an amazing and hard working group! We support each other and, as a team, help guide our students to explore and achieve their career successes.”

What is the best career advice you’ve ever received?
“It’s the little things that matter.”

What is one takeaway/lesson/something you learned over the last year?
“I had forgotten how much I love to read. Slowing down this past year allowed me the opportunity to sit down (without feeling I had to be somewhere else), pick up a book, and get lost in another world for a while… That is a gift!”

What do you like to do outside of work?
“I have two teenage boys and I love being their Mom. I love watching them play soccer, swim in the ocean, laugh with us and their friends, and seeing them become who they are meant to be! I also love listening to music, reading when I have time (see above answer!), and spending time on the beaches of Cape Cod with my family.”

One piece of advice for students:
“There is something very special about Babson. Take a moment to reflect and remember a great experience you’ve had or your favorite place to go on campus… commit it to memory. I promise that you will always go back there in your mind when you least expect it or need it the most!”

______________________________________________

Arline MacCormack

What is your role in CCD?
Associate Director, Experiential Programs

21 years

“My daughter grew up going to Camp on the Hill and then Babson Sports Camps. Five years ago she graduated from our MSEL. After she landed her first job, she said “Mom, Babson changed my life!” I couldn’t agree with her more, Babson has changed both of our lives. Babson and CCD are so much more than the place where I work. Babson is family.”

“Love what you do!”

“As long as we stick together, we can get through anything! Even a global pandemic. I am so proud of the way Babson handled the pandemic, prioritizing the health and safety of our whole community.”

What do you like to do outside of work?
“I love gardening, playing Pickleball, and traveling with and cooking for my family and friends. I’m a serious Outlander fan, and also love watching the Red Sox and Patriots. We added an outdoor TV this year, and enjoy watching the Red Sox on the deck in the evenings.”

Fun fact!
“My sister, Christine MacCormack, also works at Babson. She’s Dean Ward’s assistant! I had been at Babson for about 1 year when a job opened up in Academic Services and I encouraged her to apply. This is her 20th year at Babson!”

Hao He

What is your role in CCD?
Associate Director, International Relationship Manager

2+ years

“Babson is a very big family where people support each other. I really enjoy working with my colleagues at the Undergraduate Center of Career Development as we really love what we do at CCD. During the pandemic, we have supported each other both professionally and personally. We shared laughs, tears, stories, families, friends and relatives…”

“The best career advice I received is to open up your career goal with your network. I came from another country and moved to Boston few years ago. My coach talked to me about networking while making friends – aka networking is not a serious thing to do. You can do it with your neighbors, your barber, your friends’ friends…. The best networking usually happens when you are not intentionally looking for a job. As a matter of fact, that is how I got my job at Babson.”

“I learned that you have to make the best of any situation. During quarantine, my family created a detective themed movie, went fruit picking and hiking, watched outdoor movies, made bread and pizza… We actually enjoyed a lot more family time than before.”

Fun fact!
“I originally came from Shanghai, China. Since I came to the U.S., I lived in 5 major metropolitan cities: Phoenix, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Boston. My journey has been fun!”

Caroline Hayes

What is your role in CCD?
Senior Associate Director – “I have worked at Babson in the Undergraduate Center for Career Development for over 10 years! I started on the team in a Corporate Relations role building relationships with companies interested in hiring Babson talent, across all industries. After a few years, I transitioned over to my current position which combines student career advising and employer relations with a primary focus on students pursuing opportunities in finance.”

10+ years (11 years this September)

“I love working at Babson and in CCD because of the people I am surrounded by on a daily basis! I learn so much from my colleagues and from the students. The work that we do in the Center for Career Development is always changing and what I love about Babson is the ability to continue to pivot and make changes based on the needs of our students.”

“Get out of your comfort zone and be a lifelong learner.”

“This year was certainly a year like no other. It was incredibly challenging for a number of reasons. Life is short and it is so important to enjoy each day, spend it with those that you love and be grateful for what you have, especially your health. These are all life lessons I knew before, however after this past year, it really puts these things into perspective.”

What do you like to do outside of work?
“I love being active and outdoors, whether it’s running, cycling, hiking, an OTF gym class or playing with my kids! I have 3 young kids and a lot of my time is spent with them and watching them do what they love (hockey, lacrosse, soccer, gymnastics, riding…). We are usually on a field, at the rink, at the gym or the barn! It may sound like a lot but it’s been so fun to see them grow, try new things, and learn how to be team players. One of our favorite places to go is the Cape and we plan on spending a lot of time there this summer on the beach as a family!”

Brenda Kostyk

What is your role in CCD?
Career Adviser / Associate Director — “I have the pleasure of advising students as they shape their lives in meaningful ways. My job is to listen, ask questions that spark reflection, and learn what matters. Not linear, nor predictable, careers are about solving problems. Find issues you care about, keep them at heart, the rest will fall into place. I started my career in Big 8 (now Big 4) public accounting, followed by corporate accounting and finance. While I reveled in long hours, travel, and tearing apart financials, it was so much more than benchmarks and forecasts. Being on the ground and behind the scenes – from assessing completion of nuclear submarines, to finding fraud, to saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in inventory shrink, to improving DC operations – was about creating real value. While there have been many twists and turns, including graduate programs and industry transitions, being laser focused on areas that are important to me has never let me down. Perhaps my greatest joy as a career adviser is the moment when an advising meeting moves beyond “what do I need to do to land an internship”, or “how do I find a field I’m interested in,” to “how do I go about solving this issue that’s really important to me.”

“I have worked at Babson for a total of 15 incredible years — 4 years in Graduate CCD, 11 years (and counting!) in Undergrad CCD.”

“Our students! Where else but Babson would a Career Adviser have the chance to work with such fascinating students — from those launching a business aimed at creating healthy dietary products for hedgehogs, applying ET&A to criminal justice/prison reform, tackling some of the greatest challenges facing the airline industry, starting a public accounting firm focused on startup success, using forensic accounting to support fraud investigations and white collar crime litigation, and pretty much everything in between!”

“Success is about progress, not perfection.”

“There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about.” – Margaret J. Wheatley

Fun fact!
“Having grown up in Maine, I relish time in the outdoors, particularly in the Maine woods and in my garden. While I have a strong Irish heritage, I revel in English novels, movies, and Masterpiece Theater productions (and shhh, I am a closet royal-watcher). Downton Abbey, The Crown, or Victoria, anyone? Above all, I love sharing my life with my brilliant, adventure-seeking husband; my two smart, kind teenage daughters; our cuddly, mischievous Wheaten Terrier; and last but not least, our nocturnal, cricket-eating Crested Gecko!”

Lee Goldstein

What is your role in CCD?
“Associate Director/Career Adviser. Also, I have the pleasure of supervising our Peer Career Ambassadors.”

5 years

“Getting to witness students attain their goals, which are often goals they did not even know they had. Serving in a student-facing role, especially advising, is a privilege I have never taken for granted. To receive even a simple “thank you” from a student, each time, feels like my greatest accomplishment.”

“You work for what you come home to, whatever that may be.” I have taken those words to heart since they were spoken to me years ago.”

“Self care is not self indulgence.” Constantly invest in yourself – when you have the time and when you do not have the time. Invest in your well-being, invest in your development, invest in gaining knowledge, invest in learning more about who you are and where you can and should add value, and invest in the people who care and ask about you.”

What do you like to do outside of work?
“I belong to a small-group personal training gym where you can find me every morning. I also love -and rarely miss- popular game shows including Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and The Price is Right. In the summer, I carve out beach time with friends and loved-ones, and I am a super bargain shopper! Lastly, I will share photos of my hilariously adorable 2-year old nephew without even being asked!”