Time is Ticking, Manage it!

Being in a boarding school for six years prior to college where we we had to follow a strict schedule, I had to learn to manage my time well. It was difficult initially, I would find myself behind on an assignment because I did not plan out my time properly and after this happened a few times I realized the importance of time management. Here, I want to share a few tips about things that helped manage my time better.

1. Everyone is different

What works for one person may not work for someone else because everyone is different. Some people may prefer to do work at night while other may prefer waking up earlier to get work done. That being said, if one method of managing your time does not work for you, do not be scared to switch it up. Keep switching it around to find what works best for you.

1. Write it down

Whenever I have a new task to complete I write it down. I usually prefer using my planner but to each their own. You may prefer wiring it in your notes your phone or setting a reminder, whatever it is writing it down is better than relying on your memory. Aside from this, writing it down can help us to prioritize more pressing tasks and get them done in time.

1. Capitalize on your strengths

As I previously mentioned, everyone learns differently and in the same way everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Whatever they may be, you can use them to your advantage. For example If you are a good artist and you are finding it difficult to understand a concept, draw it out instead of trying to understand it the most common way because you will end up wasting time on it.

1. Stay ahead of the game.

It takes a lot of motivation to do this but the pay off is great. You can get tasks done way ahead of time. This prevents any last minute inconveniences that could stress you out and put you under pressure. This is the same for internships, stay on top of your tasks and try and find effective ways to get the done early so you can focus on other things.

1. Do things you like

Sometimes we do not really have a choice when it comes to the aspect of picking things you like as even in Babson we have some required classes. But even in these required classes, there are some aspects which we have control over such as topics of essays we write. When we are given such choices, we need to make the best of it and pick what interests us. This will make it easier for you to get work done because you have an actual interest in what you are doing. This is the same for internships. Do not just accept whatever comes your way, do you best to get an internship in something you have interest in so you can perform to the best of your abilities that will be where you will grow the most.