How to Work Career EXPO
Change is in the air and on the trees as the leaves turn color and apples abound. The career search process is also changing (particularly for Finance, Consulting and Accounting), as companies move their application deadlines earlier and earlier for both full time and internship opportunities. For students seeking full time and/or internships and organizations seeking top talent, welcome to the Fall Recruiting season.
I hope you have attended Industry Spotlights, Resume Reviews or Case Interview Prep. If you haven’t check out our expanded hours to get ready. CAREER EXPO is next Thursday, SEPTEMBER 26th. It’s time to get focused, gather information, develop an action plan and get creative!
How do you prepare for our career Fair, EXPO? There is a method to the madness so you can effectively and successfully maneuver through with positive results. Set a strategy for how to work the room and what you want to get out of the event
- Do your research. Find out who will be at the event and gather information about the company, industry and jobs that interest you (all on Handshake)
- Sharpen your personal brand story (tell me about yourself)
- Prepare a list of questions to ask employers
- Bring extra copies of your updated/current resume
- Dress for success (you only have one opportunity to make a positive impression)
Do’s and Don’ts
- Scope out the event; time, location, room set up, companies
- Speak to your target companies last
- Perfect your pitch and build self-confidence, before you speak your target company
- Shake hands firmly, make eye contact, and smile J
- Ask if and how you can follow up
- Cut ahead of anyone
- Monopolize the recruiter’s time
- Interrupt someone who is speaking
- Chew gum
- Ask for the job or if they sponsor
Attending a career fair or job expo is like auditioning for a part. Be prepared, do your homework and play your role…Be your authentic self. Show them who you are and what you have to offer that differentiates you from others. Leave a positive lasting impression!