The Purpose-Driven Internship Experience

In my time at Babson, I have learned a lot about the different factors of a business. I’ve taken classes on marketing, finance, innovation, management, economics and more. It can be incredibly interesting to see all of the work that goes into creating and growing a company. However, during my abroad experience this fall, I was inspired to try something new. I participated in Babson’s BRIC program, where I had the opportunity to experience the business landscapes of the emerging economies of Russia, India, and China. While taking a course in India on environmental injustice, our cohort visited a variety of non-profit organizations. We had the chance to meet with leaders of these organizations and hear their stories. It was incredible to see how they stood for what they believed in and made waves of change. So, when I began applying to internships this summer, I thought I would try something new. I decided to accept an internship with the non-profit organization IMPACT Melanoma (previously Melanoma Foundation of New England).

Needless to say, I have been having an incredibly unique internship experience this summer. Working for an organization that focuses on purpose instead of profit brings a whole new perspective to my work experience. One day I will be at a golf tournament fundraiser, and the next day I will be contacting donation recipients to let them know that their community will be receiving free sunscreen dispensers. I have experienced how the organization works to bring in funds, and further how these funds are carefully distributed to various programs, all of which make a direct impact on the cause. The University of Colorado recently released a study citing our organization as a factor of declining rates of Melanoma in New England. It is exciting to see that what you learn in business school is not limited to for-profit ventures. This knowledge can also be used to lead change.