Having an “Adult” Job

I’ve never wanted to be one of those people that grew up quickly. You know the ones I’m talking about – the kids that always wished for their birthdays to come for that one extra candle on the cake.

Don’t get me wrong; this aversion to aging isn’t due to a fear of responsibilities –quite the opposite to be quite honest. I’ve never shied from taking the lead on projects, extra curricular, or relationships. There was always something about growing up though that scared me regardless of my natural abilities to lead.

This summer was the first time I’ve lived away from home (not in a dorm room on a college campus). This was the first time I had to buy my own groceries, pay for car insurance, rent, and meal prep (yuck!)

Originally, I’m from Texas (or if you’re from Texas, we just call it the best country in the world). I moved up here for school three years ago and I’m happy to report that I still love it. This summer, I am interning for Mighty Well, a medical accessories startup located in Boston, MA (and at times Newport, Rhode Island).

I don’t think it really sank in that I was going to be working full time for a legitimate company and living on my own with eight other roommates in a house just outside of Boston until last week (I’ve been living there for well over a month and a half now) when I finally stopped and notice all of the mundane day-to-day activities I’ve grown accustomed to. Here I was, a 21-year-old senior in college, finally learning how to “adult” properly.

It’s been one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve been apart of thus far on my journey through self-discovery and professional development. Living with eight other people is a unique experience that has directly resulted in improvements in my communication patterns. I am more aware of myself and realize the importance of my actions and words. My conflict resolution and negotiation skills have been heightened since moving into our house, and lastly working together with the rest of my housemates to turn this old Victorian brick building, into a community and home. I wouldn’t have traded this experience for anything else – although cramped with nine people, we’ve come together as a group of young professionals to help each other develop and grow as people.