Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need!

It’s very easy to go through the motions in life, whether it is at work, school, or literally anywhere. As you go through your summer internship, I cannot stress enough how important it is to be aware of your goals.
When you enter into an internship program it is common to try to be a silent helper. It is my opinion that it is both possible and necessary to be a vocal helper who is not afraid to take charge/initiative. This way, you are making a lasting impact, the kind that your coworkers will feel and crave once the summer concludes. This helps your team, but what about you? What do you need? It can be intimidating depending on your work environment, but you cannot be afraid to ask for what you need.
Internships are as much about helping your team as they are about developing your professional self. As a result, it’s beneficial to constantly assess what your goals are heading into your internship. Are you on the path to accomplish your goals? If not, your internship supervisor will be more than happy to help. Most people have been in your position, so don’t be afraid to ask!
Personally, my goal for the summer is to develop my problem solving abilities through the application of business frameworks. Many of my coworkers have experience working in consulting which makes this summer the perfect time to pick their brains and watch how they work through accounts. Moreover, it is also a perfect time to learn about the consulting industry and gather as much information as possible before beginning to apply for jobs. Overall, I am very excited and fortunate to be working in such an experienced and supportive environment and look forward to what’s left to learn!