Fraternity and Sorority Life – Beyond the Stereotypes

Post by Emily Kokidko ’18

Growing up, I definitely had a warped view of Fraternity and Sorority Life. I presumed to be in a sorority would be like how the media portrayed it – crazy, dramatic, and dangerous. However, coming to Babson, I saw a different story. I observed a community of strong women supporting each other through encouragement and shared purposes. Every sorority woman I met my first semester of freshman year raved about their experiences and passion for their sisterhood. When I ended my first semester, I decided that I would be going through recruitment in the spring.

Once I joined a sorority, I instantly felt welcomed. With all of the new member programs and events, I formed relationships with my new sisters through our various shared experiences. As I progressed through the spring semester, I was able to see what all the hype was about as I became more and more enthusiastic about being in Greek Life.

Sophomore year my experience in my sorority became nuanced. I decided to approach my sorority by being involved in it, but not as intensely as others. Although I came into sophomore year having that predisposition, I continued to strengthen my relationships with my sisters. I became more and more committed to our events, and inevitability formed lasting and meaningful relationships with my sisters. These relationships have budded into me feeling a part of a community of mutual support and encouragement, and feeling a genuine sense of belonging.

As I reflect on my first two years of college, I can see how I have benefited from the sisterhood. My sister has held me accountable for my academic goals, career aspirations, and overall good health. Likewise, I have met my best friends and shared a common purpose with over ninety women.

Although being a sorority woman is more than just being a “moral maven developing heart values”. It is a being a woman that is strong, driven, and self-fulfilling. It is about balancing college life and social life. Going through recruitment has been one of my best decisions of my college career. I urge you to not let looming stereotypes prevent you from joining this profound community.