Managing Senior Year

People always talk about how much fun Senior Year of college will be and how you should enjoy it. There is no doubt that I have had my fair share of fun this year. However, no one really talks about how hard it will be. You are expected to keep your grades up (if not improve them), work at your on-campus job, hang out with your friends, make appointments at CCD, go to on campus events, and watch some Netflix, all while looking for a job. It  can be a lot of work, especially when you have to travel for interviews.

Here are some tips I have on how I’ve been managing my senior year:

Prioritize

Projects, cover letters, meetings oh my! A lot of times major assignments fall during the same week when applications are due or you might have an interview. This can be very stressful. The best way to get through this is being able to prioritize what you have to do. School and the job search are both very important, so this piece of advice is very dependent on your situation. But things like making to do lists, or writing things down in a planner can help you keep track of everything and prioritize what you have to do.

Know when you are most productive

Knowing when during the day you are most productive, as well as what environment you work best in will save you a lot of time. I am a night owl, who cannot get any work down with friends around me. Therefore I usually get a large portion of my work done at night after my suite mates have gone to bed. Staying up late is not for everyone. It just has worked for me. So figure out when you are productive and try to make a schedule around that. But if you are like me and function well at night, just remember that a lot of jobs have early hours, so after college sleeping until 10/11 am to catch up sleep isn’t really an option.

Get enough rest

So the joke in my suite, is I am the nap queen. When ever I get a free minute I am trying to catch up on some sleep, mostly since I am up late at night doing work. Getting enough rest can vary from person to person. For some, it’s going to bed at 8 pm, others it is getting a daily nap. No matter what your game plan is, make sure to get enough rest, since it can be hard to function under exhaustion. Being over tired can also make the stress of senior year worst.

Find “Me” time

Whether it is working out, watching Netflix, or writing in a journal, it is important to find time for yourself. I make sure to find time every Friday to catch up on Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder. This is the time during the week where I don’t have to worry about upcoming deadlines or finding a job. I can just focus on myself and Shondaland.

HAVE FUN

Over all it is your senior year. So make sure to enjoy it!

Best of luck to all the seniors out there! We have a couple more months left so lets make the most of it!