Identity

College is considered a time when you are supposed to discover yourself. Who am I? Who do I want to be? These questions are constantly running through students minds, including myself. However, it is very easy for us to lose sight of who we are or who we want to be, when society has labels and stereotypes. Often these stereotypes are loosely based off of a few individuals and do not describe the group or individuals in the groups as a whole. What happens when we have multiple different labels, how does this affect us? Here at Babson, the multiple labels are what most students can relate to. We are all greatly over involved, and this affects are identities greatly. I know it sure has affected me.

Sorority Girl.

Athlete.

Social Media Ambassador.

Dean’s List Student.  

FME Mentor.

All of these are things I am a part of. If I just told you one of them, you probably would come up with an “idea” of who I am. But this wouldn’t be the whole picture. Yes I love to craft and am obsessed with my sisters (especially my big and little), but I don’t go out every night parting or spend hours getting ready. Being a Sigma Kappa is a large part of who I am but it is not my whole identity. It is only a small piece to a very large puzzle of me.

I know sometimes I get caught up in the small parts of who I am and having some many aspects of who I am can be overwhelming. However the overwhelmingness of it all is what can make life exciting. It makes me want to push boundaries and challenge preconceived notions of who I am based off of labels. Labels are not who I am and they do not make up who you are. I still don’t know completely who I am yet, but do we every really find out? This journey we call college is helping me get one step closer to finding out who I am and boy what a journey it is.