A Little Bit of Babo in Puerto Rico

Winter break is often a time for college students to relax at home and spend time with friends and family. As a member of the Babson Swimming and Diving Team that has not been how I been spending the majority of my break. After a short week home I headed to Puerto Rico for the swim team’s 2013/2014 training trip.

The beach at our hotel

The beach at our hotel

The trip was filled with hard work, a little bit of pain, lots of laughs and a bunch of memories. The average day on this trip included waking up at 5 am for a 5:30 bus to the Natatorium, an Olympic size pool in San Juan.  The bus we took was like none other. It had flashing lights and a large stereo. Nothing can really wake you up like Ke$ha’s “Timber” blaring. After our 6-8 am practice, we returned for a quick breakfast then a nap. Often this nap was on the beach at our hotel. After the nap was the second practice. Once back from round two at the pool we would get dinner then go on an adventure around San Juan.

Some of the adventures at night included exploring the Ritz Carlton, walking around old San Juan, and class dinners. We were given a day and a half off for New Years Eve and New Years Day. On New Years Eve we took our bus into Old San Juan than a ferry ride to the Bacardi Factory. As a team we got to take a tour of the factory and learn about the history of the largest privately held rum company in the world. Did you know that the company is still family owned and it is currently in its 7th generation? A fun little fact I learned on this trip. Later that night we had a small New Years party where we exchanged gag gifts. Me being obsessed with Disney and the Disney Princesses received a Disney Princesses Activity Book with stickers. This gift might have brought the 5-year old in me out.On New Years Day the team took a trip to a gorgeous beach and just hung out there for the day. It was a blast getting a change to relax with the team and soak in some sun.

The team all dressed up for New Years

The team all dressed up for New Years

It is hard to believe that this trip is over and I am now back at Babson practicing. I still have doubles everyday, but something about walking to the Webster Center with snow on the ground is not the same as riding the bus to the Natty. The team bonded a lot on this trip and I am so fortunate enough to be on such an amazing team. With only a few more meets left in the season it is mind blowing to me that my sophomore year of swimming is almost up. I have had so much fun so far and I can not wait what lives ahead for the rest of the season!