A Maturer Lifeguard

It’s kind of strange coming home, especially when it feels like you have never left. Before going to school last summer I had been working at my local YMCA for 2 years as a lifeguard and swim instructor. Then last summer I got a promotion as one of the summer swim coaches. When I was leaving for school I was scared that this great job I had would not be the same once I got back from Babson. They were probably going to get new staff and a lot of the older staff might not come back for this summer. I felt things at the Y would be different once I got back. However this did not happen, AT ALL.

When I got back it literally was like I never left. They gave me a bunch of lessons to teach that other people didn’t want and I was starting to get a bunch of hours like I did last summer.  And even a majority of the staff is still here! (I love my co-workers. They are some of the craziest, funniest people in the world who driven me insane. We are a very dysfunctional family).

However one of my bosses ended up getting a new job a few weeks after I got home. You wouldn’t really think a boss leaving would be that big of a deal but it was. We all miss her like crazy but we are so proud of her and her new job!!!! It is crazy to think how big of an impact this one person has had on my life. Not just her but all of my co-workers and my job itself.

The other day during one of my long guarding shifts I started to realize I have grown up quite a bit at my job. I am so much more responsible and mature then I was when I started as a 16 year old. Not only am I better at working with other people and I am not as timid as I used to be when it comes to approaching people (I used to be terrified to tell members when they are doing something wrong or if I needed to ask them something).

I am so grateful for having this job. I am the women I am today because of it. My friendships and memories made here will last me a lifetime. I feel it is important to make the best out of every situation such as a job or opportunity and try to get the most out of it. Who knows how it will impact your life. I know my job had changed me and helped me grow.

945538_10151471207781693_2076747175_n

Me with the Capital District YMCA CEO and some 4th graders at our Splash Program Kick Off