The Campus Visit Experience – Part 2
While we certainly have our share of snow outside of Lunder Undergraduate Admission Center, we still have a lot of visitors during this cold and snowy February. Northeast winters are simply part of the beauty of our campus! That being said, if you’re looking for other ways to experience campus, and would rather take a rain check on a tour during the Winter, there are so many types of visits to choose from between now and the Spring that you should certainly be considering. Not every college/university will offer the same options, so it is always great to call ahead or check online to see what types of visits are offered at various institutions. Let take a look at some common visit opportunities…
- Campus Tour: Typically led by student tour guides who volunteer their time to share their passion for the school they know and love. Tours typically run 45-60 minutes long and provide an overview of campus attractions. Tours at Babson are being offered during the Spring Semester twice a day beginning Monday, January 28th at 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. An Additional 12:00 PM tour will be offered on high volume days. Please see our Prospective Undergraduate Student Calendar for more details.
- Information Session: Provides families the chance to speak with a member of the admission staff about the curriculum, campus life, application process, financial aid etc. At many institutions, current students will speak on a panel during the Information Session about their personal experiences both academic and extra-curricular. Information Sessions at Babson are being offered during the Spring Semester twice a day at 11:15 AM and 1:15 PM respectively. If you are a prospective Transfer Student, Babson also offers Transfer Information Sessions, more information can be found on our Transfer Student Web Page.
- Interview: Depending on the institution, you may meet with an admission counselor, perhaps an alumni representative, or a current student in order to complete an interview. Interviews provide you with the chance to talk about your high school experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, while also expressing your interest in the institution. Some interviews are informative, while other are evaluative; be sure to understand how the interview will be documented prior to scheduling one. Interviews at Babson are offered to both prospective First-Year Students and Transfer Students. Interviews for First-Year Students looking to enroll in the Class of 2018 will begin April 1st and typically run through mid-November. For students looking to transfer to Babson for Fall 2013, interviews are available up until the deadline of April 1st and for those students looking to transfer to Babson for Spring 2013, interviews are available up until the deadline of November 1st. Please call our office at (800) 488-3695 to schedule.
- Athletic Visit: Many colleges/universities will offer special campus visits for recruited athletes. During this visit a recruit would likely meet with a coach, members of an athletic team, and perhaps observe practice or other team-related events. Please note Athletic Visits at Babson are not set-up or run by the Undergraduate Admission Office, but by each individual team and the coaching staff. If you are interested in potential athletic recruitment at Babson, feel free to submit the appropriate Recruit Information Form.
- Open House: Many institutions offer large-scale Open House programs which enable you to experience and interact with campus on a number of different levels including but not limited to: Campus Tour, Faculty/Staff Meet & Greet, Student Panel, Information Session, Dining Hall Lunch, Residential Hall Viewing, etc. At Babson we host what we call “Preview Days.” Every Fall and Spring we offer Preview Days designed for prospective students and their families to experience Babson first-hand. For more information on what to expect on a Preview Day, check out my previous blog post I Want YOU to Preview Babson. Additionally, if you are looking to get ahead of the game, registration for our Spring Preview Days is now available online.
*Don’t forget to check out The Campus Visit Experience – Part 3