Not Just Business at Babson

Although Babson has an impressive reputation as a business school specializing in entrepreneurship, fifty percent of our curriculum incorporates liberal arts courses. After studying abroad for a semester and then over winter break, I fell short of my liberal arts requirements by two credits. I decided to do an independent study to fulfill these credits so that I can graduate! An independent study project is open for all students and is available in any amount of credits. Usually it is used for a student who wants to pursue a specific topic they feel passionate about or to fulfill credits. I am currently working with a professor I have had for two courses while at Babson on a poetry project focusing on my trip to Ghana. I write about two poems a week and we meet weekly to discuss my progress and make revisions so that I have a competed portfolio by the end of the semester. As part of the independent project, I will most likely be participating in a poetry reading on campus as well. This is where most course studies stop; the student writes the paper and submits it to the professor. Not only does Babson incorporate a more elaborate curriculum, but allows students to partake in special events and become more involved.

Last week I was recommended by my independent study professor and invited to a poetry private dinner and reading. I joined three other selected students and faculty to have an elegant dinner with the featured poet, who was reading at Babson later that night. We were able to talk with the poet and also converse with the other faculty – another way to make connections here at Babson! Following dinner we attended his poetry reading, which was open to the public. He was a very comical poet and truly engaged the audience. The poet offered a book signing over refreshments after the reading as well. Just an example how Babson introduces a hands-on learning approach to not only business related topics.