Winter Break Destination: Ghana

Hi Everyone,

My entry this week is primarily about my acceptance into the Ghana Program!! Last Wednesday I received an email that I was accepted into one of the soon-to-be greatest experiences of my life. I will be joining approximately fifty other students and faculty in Takoradi, Sekondi and Cape Coast of Ghana for two weeks in January. The academic course involves training and development consulting engagements with secondary students and adult learners in Ghana. I remember at the information session that Dean Hanno was stressing that it is “all work, and no play.” However, after looking through the books, journals, pictures, and videos he had of previous trips, it still sounds amazing. Although, I do need to start preparing myself for limited electricity and water. Here is a more detailed description of the program.

And a video from last year’s group!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMmEtCL2bSM

I have spoken to some of the students who travelled through this program last winter and they each could not stop talking about the rewarding experiences and how their perceptions and outlook on our lifestyle changed. I hope to get a greater understanding of developing countries and also a similar, rewarding experience.

Each student is required to complete a project related to Ghana during the Spring semester. I hope that from our study sessions beginning this weekend, that I will have a firmer grasp on the lifestyle in Ghana. I plan to have my project involve the children’s perspective and tell their stories through artwork, fingerprints, and written stories of their own creation.

Babson College dean Dennis Hanno stands with Benjamin, a resident of Sekondi, Ghana, who has gone from being an apprentice of a furniture maker to owner of a manufacturing business with four employees, after taking business-training courses provided by Hanno and his students.

I’ll be busy this week completing Ghana paperwork and studying for midterms! Have a great week and talk to you soon!