A Warm Welcome in Ghana

I am one of forty-five Babson students, faculty and staff who recently left for a trip to Ghana teaching business and entrepreneurship to local high school students and adult learners.

We were warmly welcomed on our first day by the Ashesi University community, after our 6 a.m. arrival and quick nap. A traditional Ghanaian lunch opened the visit, and I enjoyed a plateful of new and flavorful delights. I met our new exchange student from Ashesi, Afua, who is so excited to come to Babson. I was amazed by the quality of the Ashesi students and the strength of their program. The lectures provided an amazing amount of background information about the political structure and the impact of oil discoveries on the country.

After dinner at the hotel, some enjoyed a refreshing Star beer at a local establishment, some engaged in a heated Catchphrase game (who knew Anna Collins was so competitive!), and I went with some of the group into Accra with Nana Amma (who studied at Babson last spring) to experience the city. One thing that strikes me, even after the first day, is the gap between the many people you see on the street who struggle to make a living and the wealthy who we saw at some points during the day.

Off to Sekondi. It’s a long bus ride but I can’t wait to get started on our important work!

You can keep up to date on our Ghana travel at Dean Hanno’s blog.