Creating Social Value Blog / Service in Action

The Hunger Banquet– Puja Mehta

When Habitat for Humanity first did the Hunger Banquet in the fall of 2011, I was studying abroad, so I did not actually get to experience it. I heard from those who participated that it was amazing, and was excited at the opportunity to help plan it in the fall of 2012 along with the Office of Faith and Service! The entire event was spectacular, and throughout the activity, testimonial, and discussion sessions, I was so touched by the warmth and genuine eagerness to do something to help that every participant was emitting through their words. It was a feeling of frustration that united each individual in that room that night, and we all left feeling inspired and almost compelled to do something (really anything) to change what we had just heard was almost accepted as a norm. Facts that could not be disputed had shattered the oblivious bliss that we had all been living in, and I was so happy to have been a part of something this monumental. The speaker was living proof of the type of inaction people (including myself!) exhibit all the time. The ability to physically help a human being, be it through charitable actions and donations or even just lending a smile. It reminded me that I take for granted so many little things in my life, without which I would be seen completely differently in the eyes of so many people in my life. Those who came will echo my sentiments that, no matter what financial status you hold and no matter where you’re from, you are extremely lucky to be enrolled at a college (especially a prestigious one like Babson) and to have a million and one opportunities at your doorstep every single day. From the little things like having a place to sleep and eat to the big things like taking classes that will prepare you for a job that you will be able to acquire due to a simple thing like being able to fill out the address portion of the job application. It’s easy to get caught up in what we don’t have, but it’s little reminders like this that make us thankful for what we have and encourage us to help those in need.

— Puja Mehta, Class of Dec. 2012