Upstarts! Author Hails the New Entrepreneur
In her new book, UPSTARTS! How GenY Entrepreneurs are Rocking the world of business and 8 Ways You Can Profit from Their Success, Inc. magazine contributing editor Donna Fenn interviewed more than 150 young CEOs to learn what makes them tick. Fenn discussed the book tonight in the Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship.
She found that the new generation of entrepreneurs (under 30) are action-driven and that community and collaboration work well for them.
• 60% of entrepreneurs surveyed started their venture with a partner. Partners are carefully chosen; the new entrepreneurs have a keen, innate instinct to partner with someone who provides complimentary skills.
• New entrepreneurs are into formal entrepreneurship training and there is currently a real hunger for training on a global level. They also seek out the advice of mentors.
• They are especially skilled in thinking outside the box and are intuitivelyskilled when it comes to marketing their products and venture.
• They are successful as Fenn describes it, “in finding the pain in the marketplace and devising a solution.”
• They have a unique ability to create a new spin on an unordinary venture; branding a business that is not normally ‘brandable’; distinguishing an idea within its industry; and sometimes create an industry when there is none.
• More than any generation of entrepreneurs, 70% of the under 30, want to change the world; and this social entrepreneurship attitude is often built into the company mission.
For more on the book and its author visit: http://www.donnafenn.com/