Graduate Blog / Graduate Life

A Journey Across Entrepreneurship of All Kinds – Eduardo Saieh Patitucci MBA’17

Undoubtedly, one of the biggest hurdles an entrepreneur has to overcome is ambiguity. Uncertainty about the future has led many a person to calling it quits and moving on to greener pastures. But the story of Eduardo Patitucci is one of true grit and determination to succeed in the face of insurmountable adversity.

Nazionale Rooms in Rome, Italy

From humble beginnings in Colombia, Eduardo moved to Rome, Italy, when he was 18 years old – straight out of high school. Going against his parents’ wishes and societal norms, Eduardo wanted to explore the world and live by himself before treading the “road oft taken”. He worked at a grocery store, picked up olives, worked at bars, and finally a restaurant. While working as a server in that restaurant he got his “big break”, although he started out there cleaning bathrooms.

The owner of a famous Bed ‘n’ Breakfast – “Nazional Rooms” located in Via Nazionale Rome- came there every day for lunch. He noticed how Eduardo was a natural at taking care of customers and how he was able to establish a relationship with them in just a couple of minutes. He offered Eduardo a job at the B&B as the front desk manager. After working there for a year Eduardo was offered a partnership and took over 50% ownership of the B&B before becoming the sole owner of the establishment in July 2004.
He owned and managed the B&B for 7 years before he handed the reins over to his successor, and moved to the US for his undergraduate studies. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, at the age of 27, Eduardo Saieh Patitucci entered Kennesaw State University to begin his undergraduate studies, having amassed 9 solid years of work experience, 7 of them as a business owner.

Here’s Eduardo’s story in his own words:

What is one life event that has left an indelible impression on your personality?

Eduardo enjoying a balmy day out with his dog

The event that was a turning point in my life was the day I signed my first business lease. I was 20 years old and didn’t know too much about running a small business. It was very intimidating to have a lawyer and notary looking down at you while you sign a document, I could feel their eyes scanning every single move I made. From that day on, I understood that I had acquired important responsibilities and that I needed to meticulously alter my daily activities if I wanted to succeed. It was also the day that I realized that I had people counting on me to give them a check at the end of each month. It wasn’t easy to make the transition from having no responsibilities to managing every single aspect of a small business. The sacrifices that had to be made were hard but I knew that in the future all of it would pay off.

How has the MBA Experience shaped you in conjunction with that life event?

Choosing to do an MBA at Babson College has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. With a background in entrepreneurship and managing small businesses, Babson offered the right combination of courses and skills I was looking for to be successful in my next venture. With graduation inching closer every day, my desire to get back in the business world grows along with it steadily. My MBA experience at Babson has allowed me to add new skills and best practices into my repertoire of knowledge. I have also been able to learn from past mistakes and choose better and more informed courses of action to turn difficult situations into profitable ones.

How has Babson’s collaborative environment impacted you?

Eduardo with his fiancee – Amber Raines.

Babson’s collaborative environment is one of a kind. I have never seen such a close knit group of people with a desire of working together towards a common goal.  When fall semester began, Olin hall became the go to place for all students to gather and exchange ideas. Everyone was eager to pitch in and help build the next big thing that will make the world a better place. What enhances this collaborative environment is the rich diversity of the student body. Each student brings with him/her a different background and experience to the table, positively impacting every single aspect of the Babson community. This environment has allowed me to forge relationships with students from across the world as well as alumni in the Boston area.

This one is a story for the ages. Eduardo is genuinely one of the nicest people one can ever come across. Always helpful, deeply brooding, and an inspiration for entrepreneurs at Babson to never think less of any job – whether it be scrubbing toilets, waiting on tables, joining an undergrad school at the age of 27, or running a well-oiled business for seven years in a foreign country.

Eduardo Saieh Patitucci is a current one-year MBA student in the Class of 2017. He’s the one year representative at the Babson Consulting Club. He graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 4.0 GPA from Kennesaw State University in 2015. He previously worked as a Sales Support Coordinator for Hapas-Lloyd AG before joining Babson College in May 2016.

Guest Writer: Prateek Chakrabarty

prateekHometown: New Delhi, India
Education: Amity University, New Delhi
Previous Experience: Technology Consulting – Indian Tobacco Company; Marketing and Advertising – Koenig Solutions Ltd.
Activities: VP Club Management, Graduate Student Council; Head Coach, MBA Soccer Club
Favorite Babson Entrepreneur: Courtney Wilson, Founder – Dropzone for Veterans