Graduate Blog / Graduate Life

Graduate Student Profile – Julien Lafleur

Graduate Student Affairs is beginning a series of student profiles—we have amazing students! Our goal is to highlight and capture the experience, wisdom, and advice our students have to share.

Without further adieu, I’d like to introduce you to Julien Lafleur – Evening MBA student and expected 2016 Grad.

Julien LafleurWhere are you from?

I am a New Englander, through and through.  Aside from a semester living in Old England as an undergrad, I’ve lived in New Hampshire or Massachusetts my whole life.

What is your industry interest or background?

I’m in the world of information technology today (and for the last 15 years) but before that, I was in marketing (where I learned databases) and before that, I was a high school teacher.

Tell us about a skill or expertise you have?

I love public speaking.  Maybe it’s not much of a skill or expertise, but I really enjoy speaking to a crowd.

What is the best experience you’ve had as a Babson Graduate Student?

Hmm, so many! I’ve enjoyed being part of the information sessions, and all the new concepts, from econ to finance to leadership and negotiation. But the best experiences are the ones when I’ve been able to apply something from class to my job. (See the next answer for more!)

Can you point to a Babson experience that has lead to personal or professional growth?

There have been so many stellar classes I’ve taken here, but in this case I need to call out my Negotiation class. Having just completed the course I was finding places to apply the practices all over the place. Luckily they were not slow in arriving! Without going into to many details, my boss’s boss told me to do something I didn’t agree with. Using the framework, I came to a strong list of questions for him about the situation and we were able to find a much better resolution for all parties.

What do you do when you’re not at Babson?

Aside from my job, which keeps me pretty busy, I also have two young children (11 and 6) whom I love reading to and playing with. My wife and I enjoy going for walks when we can. I’m learning to play guitar, but I struggle with a lack of musical talent (see question #8). And there’s always housework.

What is your favorite Greater Boston area restaurant?  

I’m a Metro-West kind of guy, so I have a lot of favorites. In the greasy-spoon category, I’m a big fan of Casey’s Diner on South Ave in Natick. I love Big Fresh on Rt. 9 in Framingham, and Green Leaf on Rt 30 in Natick (just off the pike) has some really tasty vegetarian/vegan food! And there’s always Whole Foods in Wellesley where I do a lot of my studying.

If you could chose a superpower, what would it be?

I’ve always wished I could sing.  I know it’s not flying or ESP, but when you hear someone who can really sing, it is like magic.

What else do you want us to know about you?

I realized the other day that I’m on the home stretch to finishing up my degree, and wishing I’d taken advantage of much more of the opportunities here. It’s an amazing community and one of the best decisions of my life!

If you would like to suggest a student (or even yourself) to be profiled, email us at gradsa@babson.edu.