Graduate Blog / Graduate Admissions

B-Women–Women’s History Month at Babson

The United States is in the middle of the 2012 National Women’s History Month. At Babson, we celebrate our entire community of amazing female leaders through a variety of events–social, celebratory, and educative. On March 1, we kicked off the month with the annual “Nan Langowitz Women Who Make a Difference” award ceremony, where one member each from the staff, faculty, and student body is selected from many nominees for her exceptional contributions to life at Babson.

Graduate Admissions is celebrating the opportunities available for women MBA’s by co-sponsoring an event with Harvard Business School and Simmons School of Management on March 22 at 6:30 at Simmons. This event, titled “Women and the MBA: Pathways to Success,” will feature a panel of alumnae from the three schools offering their stories and discussing the value of the degree in their specific industries.

The Center for Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership (CWEL), under the leadership of new director Susan Duffy, is winding up great slate of events honoring women’s history month. CWEL sponsored opportunities such as the screening of Miss Representation, a documentary written and directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom about the media’s misrepresentation of women and its long reaching effects, and “Empowered by Mind, Body and Soul: How Women are Transforming the Yoga Industry,” a three-part series focusing on yoga as a practice, yoga as a business, and yoga as art.

Finally, ongoing and worth mentioning is Graduate Admissions’ B-Women: A Luncheon for Prospective Female MBA’s, held on the Wellesley campus after every Saturday Information Session. B-Women, co-sponsored by the Admissions Office and the Babson Association of Women MBA’s (BAWMBA), is a wonderfully informal way for women interested in an MBA to have lunch and network with Babson students and faculty. The questions are wide-ranging: How will I experience the classroom?  How flexible will this degree be for me?  How supportive of women is the Babson Community?

Meet the Admissions Staff

Periodically, I will feature a member of the Grad Admissions team in this blog. This week, to honor Women’s History Month, I would like to introduce you to Mary Beth Crook, our office manager and one of the many special women on my staff and at Babson. I am certain that at least 94% of you have met her when you walked into the admissions office or called 781-239-5591.

I asked her five questions that I will put to all the staff I will feature. Here are her replies. Thanks, Mary Beth!

1.       How long have you been with Babson?

I began my position at Babson almost a year ago, May 2011, so I have now experienced a full admissions cycle.

2.       How would you describe your job?

As Office Manager, I work with the Graduate Admissions team, current MBA students, and of course, prospective students. This challenging position is the face of Graduate Admissions. It is a rapid-fire environment where no day is quite the same!

I particularly enjoy working with the students and learning about their cultures and businesses. Overall, I value working with my colleagues in this positive, energetic environment.

3.       What do you like the most about the Babson community?

I thoroughly enjoy the people and the inclusive feeling on campus. The positive atmosphere is truly welcoming and embraces independent workers who can share ideas and create value.

4.       What one adjective would you use to describe our students?

I would describe our student body as dynamic! It is fascinating learning about the varied experiences and cultures our students bring to Babson.

5.       Fun fact?

Travel is my avocation. In that vein, I have experienced the floor of the Grand Canyon from the back of a mule!

Good luck. Think big.

Best, Barbara