Entrepreneurship Faculty Profile: Yasu Yamakawa

Yasu Yamakawa

Passionate. Curious. Focused. Resilient. Those are the four words that Professor Yasu Yamakawa uses to describe himself. Having the pleasure of assisting him with the course Made in Japan: Culture and Opportunities the past two years, these four words do ring true. Seeing him in action on and off Babson’s Wellesley campus, Professor Yamakawa has helped countless students grow personally and professionally.

What is your role at Babson? How long have you been at Babson?
This is my eighth year at Babson. My role is to make sure that whoever is in the Babson community is happy with their lives. This includes my students, colleagues, people I play with hockey with. It’s everyone that I touch: I want all to be happy.

Why did you come to Babson?
We are number one in entrepreneurship. I want to be number one in whatever I do. When I started my PhD, my mentor said, “If you want to do entrepreneurship, go to Babson.” I did just that.

What classes do you teach?
I teach courses at undergraduate, graduate and executive levels. These classes include Foundations of Managements and Entrepreneurship (FME), Entrepreneurship and Opportunity, Elective Abroad at the undergraduate and graduate levels. For executive programs, I’ve taught Bulgarian and Norwegian constituents as well as the Price-Babson SEE program for entrepreneurship educators.

What area of research do you focus on?
My area of research is focused on failure: recovering and revitalizing from failure, learning from failure, and doing better next time.

What is your definition of entrepreneurship?
Chaos.

What does the world need from entrepreneurs today?
Constructive/positive chaos.

Do you have any tips for entrepreneurs?
Smile, and stay positive. Build thick skin.

What do you think makes Babson unique?
The students make Babson unique. At the end of the day it’s the quality of students, the level of energy they bring, their desire and aspiration to change the world. The students are what make faculty stronger because we have to teach them how to be successful, making students even stronger.

What do you do for fun?
The entrepreneurship game is fun. Working with entrepreneurs, startups, and investors are all fun for me; I love my job. I don’t separate my professional work with personal life, they’re together. For me, everything is combined.

Anything else people should know?
Come find me, I encourage you to come talk to me!