Babson Celebrates Global Entrepreneurship Week
Today marks the start of Babson’s fifth celebration of Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW). Since our first GEW on campus, we’ve grown the number of activities and initiatives on campus immensely. Our events on/off campus are part of the thousands of events in 140+ countries celebrating innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity during GEW. In its eighth year, GEW brings together aspiring and inspiring entrepreneurs, helping them embrace originality, imagination, and ingenuity through local, national, and global activities.
Here are some highlights of what’s scheduled during our celebration:
- Hult Prize at Babson. This year’s President’s Challenge will tackle a global social challenge, as student teams of three to five people will come together from around the world to take on the Global Early Childhood Education Crisis! A Babson team advanced to regional finals last spring. Today, Thursday, November 13 at 4:30pm in Olin 101. More info >>
- Babson will be honoring three new inductees into the Academy of Distinguished Entrepreneurs this evening at 6pm in Knight Auditorium. This year’s honorees are Diane Hessan of Communispace, Alan Trefler of Pegasystems and Graham Weston of Rackspace. Since its inception, the academy has recognized and honored entrepreneurs who have contributed significantly to the development of free enterprise throughout the world.
- The Babson Entrepreneurship Forum is the largest student run event on campus. This year’s forum will be on Friday, November 14 and will bring together more than 20 speakers to discuss how entrepreneurs on the front lines are Owning the Future.
- Babson’s Entrepreneur in Residence Gail Simmons will be offering office hours for Babson entrepreneurs. Monday, November 17 at 10:30am in the Blank Center. Sponsored by Food Sol.
- One of the most popular Butler Venture Accelerator workshops, Professor Les Charm will giving tips on how to divide equity with founders. This interactive workshop will bring the “kitchen table conversation” to life. Monday, November 17 at 4pm in the Blank Center.
- Have a business idea that requires an app? Not sure how to reach out to a developer? On Tuesday, November 18 at 5pm in Olin 101, Babson will have an interactive panel with entrepreneurs and developers as we learn best practices for getting an app made. Co-sponsored by Alpha Software, Babson Entrepreneurship Club and Babson Tech Club.
- How and why are entrepreneurs building new ventures on a global basis to create economic and social value? On Wednesday, November 19 at 3pm in the Needham Wellesley Room, participants will explore leading-edge practices and resources that allow entrepreneurs to drive social value creation and create economic value. Co-sponsored by The Lewis Institute.
- The Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce and Babson will be celebrating the power of entrepreneurship and innovation at Boston’s Innovation District. Wednesday, November 19at 6pm in The Atrium at the John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse, Boston. More info >>
- A GEW bonus event! Scott Kirsner, Boston Globe columnist will be meeting with Saltire Fellows and Butler Venture Accelerator participants. Friday, November 21 at 12:30pm at Babson.
- Accelerator peer to peer sessions – Accelerator participants will be leading roundtable discussions! All peer to peer sessions are in the Blank Center co-working space.
- Emily Lagasse M’15 of Fedwell – a B.E.T.A. Challenge finalists and former Summer Venture Program participant, Emily will be sharing tips on prototyping and testing a consumer product good. Thursday, November 13 at 3:30pm
- Ativ Patel ’17 of Mento – Ativ attended the Web Summit in Dublin last week and will be sharing what he learned! Tuesday, November 18 at 3:30pm
- Soumya Roy M’15 of SURG, LLC – Soumya will be sharing some tips on SBIR. Thursday, November 20 at 4pm