Living Entrepreneurship Blog / The Arts

Music Passion at Babson

By Alexandra Kantor: Hello! My name is Lexi Kantor and I am a freshman at Babson College! Before I discuss my musical experience at Babson, let me start by saying that I have been playing the piano for thirteen years, and it is a huge part of my life. So naturally, as I was looking at schools, a way to stay involved with music was one of my criteria.

Currently, I am the pianist of the Babson-Olin Jazz Ensemble. I am a classically trained pianist, so joining a jazz band was a very new venture for me. However, it has ended up fulfilling two very substantial roles in my life here at Babson. The first is that I am being challenged by the music I am given, which in turn is broadening my mind and is helping me learn new things. I have started arriving at Jazz practice early so that my instructor can work with me on some music theory as well. The second role that Jazz band is fulfilling is a therapeutic one. It forces me to sit down for an hour and half each week, take a breather, and do something I love to do. At Babson especially, having something like that in your life is extremely important. I would definitely recommend the Jazz Ensemble to anyone who enjoys playing and listening to music!

However, if you’re not interested in joining a musical group on campus but you still want to continue playing your instrument that is also a possibility! I have gained swipe-access to the band room, so when I have spare time (which is rare) I can go down and play the piano. Anyone can easily gain access to the band room and other music-related resources on campus to practice any instrument, and I really recommend doing that, too!

So, don’t think that because Babson is a business school there is no opportunity to pursue the arts. There are plenty of resources, organizations and people to help you stay committed to your passion.

Lexi Kantor, Class of 2016 at Babson College.