Working Under Extreme Conditions

At home, the heater broke, and it’s still freezing in the northeast, almost as if it were the peak of winter, just without the snow and ice. But I’m working with fingerless gloves, bundled up feeling like a sumo wrestler.

I’m thinking about more comfortable times, like if I were working in an office that would be toasty like an oven right now. I’m also thinking about harsher times, like when my mother was growing up in China, working under any condition, rain or shine, because that’s the only way you made money, by working, whenever, whereever.

Luckily, this isn’t arduous labor, but this general lack of movement is bad, both because it doesn’t give me a chance to warm the limbs, and because it means I just get less exercise.

If I had a choice, I’d probably take the day off, go over to a friend’s house where it’s probably much warmer, and play some xbox, but work can’t stop just because of a broken heater.

Danny Wong works to run Blank Label Group, which powers the online startups Blank Label, Thread Tradition and RE:custom. He also writes about entrepreneurship and things at HuffingtonPost, TheNextWeb and ReadWriteWeb.