Fear is the Biggest Obstacle to Effectively Networking

Last summer, when in the midst of my film production internship at Lifesong Organization, they had shown me all of their portfolio work. One of the works in their portfolio was a testimonial series. Specifically, there was one video of a man sharing his near life death experience as he almost lost his life and watched his fellow friends die in front of him. I had no words. This story left me frozen. My former Creative Director, Dale Kline, continued to explain how this testimonial series had been spearheaded by this company called Votary Films. In fact, people who were associated with Votary Films attended Lifesong Church. I was amazed to see the intersection of faith and film. Votary means either “a person bound by vows to live a life of religious worship or service” or “a committed worshiper”. After viewing their work and again, the brief testimonial episode series they had completed for the organization I was interning with last summer, it was clear that Votary was exceptional. 

As the weeks had followed, from finding out about Votary at the beginning of June to still thinking about them week after week going into July, I thought, what do I have to lose if I reach out to them? Nothing. So, after praying consistently, asking God how to reach out to them and let them know I am so grateful for the contribution to the world, I finally opened up my email. As I was by myself, snuggled up on the couch, no sounds other than the thoughts in my head as I watched the minutes go by until I was going to send this email, I finally did. With the power of God working in and through me, giving me the courage to empty myself of myself and focus on their servant characterized company, I thanked them for all their work they had done.

Comes to happen that now a year later, after starting and running the Film Association of Babson Olin Wellesley organization, still staying in touch with employees of Votary, and being part of the Votary Collective (group of recognized Votary approved filmmakers that collaborate, update one another, and offer help on each other’s projects), I reached out to them. I asked them if a full-time internship this summer would be possible. After the CEO, titled as the “Executive Producer” met up with the rest of the team, they gladly embraced me and humbly onboarded me. 

For those that are afraid to reach back out to past contacts, connections, or due to much elapsed time, the most important takeaways I have realized is to not be afraid. Do not over think and start to take steps with gratitude and service at the forefront. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.