My Summer Internship at MSCI

This blog was written by Peer Career Ambassador, Praket Sharma ’22.

Hey everyone! My name is Praket Sharma and I am a sophomore at Babson concentrating in marketing. Over the summer I had the opportunity to work as an intern at Morgan Stanley Capital Index. I was working at their Mumbai, India office.

MSCI Inc. is a global provider of equity, fixed income, hedge fund stock market indexes, and multi-asset portfolio analysis tools. Yes! It sounds complicated, and trust me the first week of work was stressful. Understanding these complex terminologies was hard but the professionals at MSCI made me feel at ease. Most of them were graduates from top colleges around the world and having their support was humbling.

I was part of the index management team. My job was to analyze the financials of over 100 firms and check whether their financial ratios complied with the benchmarks of our index. These firms were part of an Islamic index with strict benchmark restrictions. I was also responsible for analyzing around 125 biotechnology companies from around the globe and label them with their appropriate SIC and GICS code. After my analysis, I presented my work to my project head. Upon his approval of my work, I was able to showcase my analysis to the top officials at the firm.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed interning at MSCI. I learned a lot about stocks and indexes. My knowledge about finance was enhanced by having meaningful conversations with my co-workers. The workplace made me accustomed to a professional work environment and I built life-long relationships with ambitious professionals at MSCI. This internship has made me consider Finance as a career and I am also thinking about working there again next summer.