3 Important Things to Get a Management Consulting Job

As I approach the end of my internship, I asked my manager, who is a partner at the management consulting firm I work in, can you explain to me what are the things you look for in a job applicant. I may have managed to get this job, but knowing how the interviewee thinks will be essential in getting the next ones. So, I asked him what was the purposes of the specific questions he asks and what he is trying to find out with these questions. Now I will share with you the four important things I learned that works in an interview.

1)Show structured thinking & Do structured work

First of all, you should think out loud in an interview to show the steps you take to conclude. So, the interviews can understand how you think. Your work should show the process too so that everyone will know that your conclusions are supported. If you were asked to calculate the current inventory of a company, your final deliverable should also include data about the beginning inventory, used inventory and new inventory, not just the current inventory that you were asked to report. You should write the formula you used to calculate too. It can be a very simple formula that can easily be guessed, but you get the points for attention to detail.

2) Be up to date with the local and global news

You will likely be asked for your opinions about the recent updates. You should show that you are regularly reading the news aware of what is going on around you. You should be able to comment on the impact of the Huawei ban and what do you think the Federal Reserve will do in the next meeting and why you think like that.

3) Report the extra patterns you see

If you were asked to report the sales of 10 companies, don’t just turn in the sales. Report it with the other trends you saw the data. If you realize the companies in the Retail sector made the most and Pharma made the least sales, that should go in the report. You should be actively looking to find out trends in the data.