Auditions, The New Job Interview: Have You Rehearsed?
Believe it or not, spring is around the corner, less than a month away. Our employer partners are springing into action, seeking talent on the Babson campus. Don’t miss an opportunity to be in front of 55+ employers, on campus, next Thursday, February 28th.
Now is the time to focus, gather information, develop an action plan and get creative!
How do you prepare for recruiting events, conferences, career conversations, forums, and networking? You can set yourself up for success by developing an action plan. Set a strategy for working the room, making connections and determining what you want to get out of the event.
- Do your research. Find out who will be at the event and gather information about the company, industry, people, and jobs that interest you.
- Update your personal brand story (tell me about yourself)
- Prepare a list of questions to ask employers
- Bring extra copies of your resume
- Dress for success (professionally)
Do’s and Don’ts
- Scope out the event; time, location, room set up, companies
- Speak to your target companies last
- Perfect your story and build self-confidence, before you speak with your target companies
- Shake hands firmly, make eye contact, and smile
- Ask if and how you can follow up
- Cut ahead of anyone
- Monopolize the recruiter’s time
- Interrupt someone who is speaking
- Chew gum
- Ask if they sponsor international students
- Ask for the job or if the company is hiring
Attending a career fair or job expo is like auditioning for a part. Be prepared, do your homework and play your role…Be your authentic self. Show them who you are and what you have to offer that differentiates you from others. You only have one opportunity for a first impression. Leave a positive lasting impression!