Uncertainty

Now we all know Babson college loves risk. They laud it above all else, claiming it to be a integral part of all entrepreneurship endeavors. They use the word in every class, every social group, every extracurricular activity, simply everywhere. Hell they even love to take huge risks as an institution, clearly evidenced by the incessant construction. I mean, what other college would decide it was a good idea to move a very old, very large globe that also happened to be very close to a student dorm?  So as I said, Babson loves risk. But no matter how hard they hammer it into our heads, it does not get any less scary.

This summer I decided to take a risk. Instead of trying to find a internship at a large company, I chose to work at a small non-profit.  I had worked with the non-profit in the past and loved/love the work it does in the Boston community, but as a rising senior I constantly worried if this choice was a good one.

‘I mean, I only have one year left in fake adult world, shouldn’t I find a place that could give me a job after this summer, or even a place that could give me more money?’ Those were the thoughts that constantly ran through my head, like constantly doing a marathon from earlobe to earlobe, and I was really nervous.

When my first day came around, I still had multiple tabs of handshake and other potential internships open on my laptop just in case. In literally less than 30 minutes those tabs were deleted. (Yes by accident, but I am going to use it for the symbolism.) I was soon given a huge amount of tasks including creating data analysis reports, setting up a new accounting software, figuring out to switch pay-roll databases etc. Needless to say I was very quickly stressed and worked hard for the next two weeks, but the by the end I realized something. I had learned so much in my very little time at the company. I now know a lot about the operations of a non-profit; good, helpful knowledge that I would definitely need in the future. And with all these valuable, practical things, I realized that I had also made many new friends. At the non-profit and the events, I had gotten to know this incredibly smart, passionate, and gifted group of people that use art to pursue social-justice. How dope is that! I realized that in my career I want to do all I can to help non-profits and other for-profit social enterprises grow and operate.

At the end of the day, most importantly I realized Babson was right. Risk is unnerving and just downright terrifying, but a lot of good can come if you can pull yourself together and decided to take it. I am glad that I chose this position for my summer, and hopefully I’ll be able to continue to tell y’all about more cool things I learn down the line.