How I Became a Manager of Babson’s Baseball Team

This past spring I had the chance to serve as a student manager with the Babson baseball team. It was a great extracurricular experience and a highlight of my freshman year.

Growing up I always had a strong interest in athletics. In high school, I was a student manager of my school’s basketball and baseball teams, my first experiences traveling and volunteering with a team. In my senior year, I traveled with the Wellesley High basketball team to all games and managed the team’s social media accounts–a major time commitment but rewarding experience. My time with both teams helped me appreciate the incredible discipline and time management required for student-athletes to balance school with a sport, which ultimately helped me manage my own life more efficiently.

When I came to Babson for orientation last fall, I was unsure if I would continue to be involved with athletics at the college level. By sheer coincidence I found myself living in Park Manor West with seven freshman baseball recruits. We quickly became friends through our shared interest in the game and sports in general. Through that connection, I became friendly with several upperclassmen on the team, who encouraged me to reach out to the head coach about being a student manager for the season.

So I did. I also reached out to the head coach at Wellesley High, who I knew had a relationship with Coach Noone at Babson, and he offered to give a recommendation on my behalf. After both coaches got in touch with each other, I was able to meet with Coach Noone in person and formally become a manager for the team.

With the Beavers I helped out in a similar capacity to my experience in high school, managing the team’s twitter account during games and occasionally tracking statistics. Although I only traveled to home games, serving as manager enabled me to become close with the team and become a more active member of Babson’s community. It’s something I hope to continue doing for the remainder of my time as a Babson student.

For anyone interested in volunteering with Babson athletics or in becoming more ingrained in the Babson community, I strongly recommend putting yourself out there, committing yourself to something unique, and making those personal connections that lead to a more fulfilling college experience as a whole.