Ditching The City That Never Sleeps for No Sleep

Here I sit listening to Pink Floyd’s song, “Time”, never feeling so disconnected to the following lines, “Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day / You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way”.

I am Nicole, a rising sophomore and Posse Scholar at Babson College. I am from New York City, but have decided to ditch the city that never sleeps for the city of Boston, where I get no sleep as I balance a hectic schedule that consists of summer classes and an internship in the city at PULSE@MassChallenge.

PULSE@MassChallenge aims to “helps patients and entrepreneurs win” by providing a digital health startup accelerator program that connects entrepreneurs with partners in the community to transform healthcare. Finding the internship opportunity through my CCD Externship there in the spring, I connected with the Senior Partnerships Manager, who expressed interest for me to work with her over the summer. After submitting my resume, participating in a phone interview and submitting a cover letter, the position of Partnerships Intern was mine.

After waking up at 7:30AM every morning for my Microeconomics and Finance classes, I commute into the city, where I help manage relationships with current and potential partners of PULSE. As the PULSE Finale (an award ceremony for this year’s cohort of startups) was this Tuesday, my first two weeks also consisted of assisting in the preparation and execution of the event. At the event itself, I had the opportunity to talk with the entrepreneurs and their startups, as well as with other members of the digital health community. It was an exciting day to learn more about the digital health community I remain interested in exploring.

Everyday has been hectic and packed. Time moves slowly because there is so much being done in a single day. However, it has been a rewarding experience so far, as I am constantly learning, all hours of the day. Time management has been challenging, but once I overcome this hurdle, I will reap the rewards of a busy schedule with a good few moments to simply watch time “ticking away”.