2. Taking the Day Off to Work

During my summer I was immersed in the insane hours of tech culture in San Francisco. We worked 12 hours a day, and that was considered a normal day. After getting in that mind set a 24-hour Hackathon seemed like a piece of cake. A couple of my colleagues and I decided to take the day and participate in Outside Lands annual Hackathon, Outside Hacks. To those unfamiliar with the concept a hackathon is a sprint-like event in which computer programmers and others involved in software development collaborate intensively on software projects over the course of 24-48 hours. We showed up, zoned in, and after 24 hours were able to present a fully functioning mobile app that could be used at the festival (if you are interested in the project checkout the Github repository here). This Hackathon and summer as a whole showed me that time is just a number. You can work effectively for hours at a time as long as you are passionate and motivated for the work you are doing.

On your next project don’t limit yourself to a typical 9-5, work for as long as you can do meaningful and effective work, and stop when the spark fades.