Halfway Mark Lessons

I am about halfway through my internship and I have learned a lot. I did not know much about the staffing industry when I started this internship. This internship challenges me to learn and grow on a daily basis. Below are the top 3 things I’ve learned during my time here so far that help me be a better recruiter.

1. Keep a strong mindset and stay focused –

In recruiting, if you do not go into each and every call with the proper mindset then the entire call can go poorly. You could be tired of leaving voicemails and speaking with rude people, but it is always important to remember that they are just another person on the phone. What really helps me get through the tough situations is the knowledge that these people I’m talking to have no idea who I am and vice versa. So, if they are rude to me then I can just hang up and move on. You can’t take the things they say personally, you need to remind yourself that there is always another call to make and keep a strong mentality.

It is also very easy to get distracted by being on your phone while waiting for someone to pick up. You may think sending a quick text before making your next call is no big deal. However, you never really realize how much time and focus you’re losing while doing that. It is just better to keep your phone away and stay focused on the call you’re making even if the phone is just ringing.

1. Always keep moving forward – you never know who you’re going to get on that next dial.

This lesson goes hand in hand with keeping the right mindset. It can be difficult to keep dialing after leaving your 50th voicemail, but you just have to keep going. You never know who is going to pick up next and what you could gain from the conversation – or, even better, what they could gain. The next person you talk to may be able to help you find a new job for the company or you might even be able to help them get placed on a project. You just never know who you could get if you just make that extra call, so you always need to keep going.

Some days are harder than others. You get stuck with voicemails a lot more than usual, but you just have to keep picking up the phone and dialing, hoping to get that one person to talk to. It is a mental strength you need to gain and maintain.

1. Ask questions –

The biggest lesson I have learned so far is to never be afraid to ask because the worst someone can do is say no. It doesn’t matter if you’re on the phone with a consultant or if you’re talking to your mentor – never be afraid to ask a question.

Mentors want to help you and see you succeed. The only way that is going to happen is if you ask them questions on things you are unsure about. Ask them what you can do better, ask them how to approach a certain situation, ask them to role play a conversation so you can see how to handle it – always ask no matter what it may be. I know that by asking the questions I have asked, I have gained a better understanding of how to approach tricky situations and handle difficult conversations.

The worst consultants can do is say no to your question. You cannot let the fear of rejection or denial stop you from asking because you never know what could happen if you don’t ask. Asking hard questions gets you the best results. By continuously asking questions, you get to not only learn more about the consultant, but you also slowly begin to learn what they are looking for and how you can best help them in finding their next project.