Working at Rent the Runway – NYC Summer Internship

Rent the Runway is an outstanding company! I am so glad to be having this opportunity. Whenever I have something rented on I make sure to tell everyone around me about it! The usual response is: “What? You rented this? But it is so cool!” I, then, briefly describe the business model, my position as a buyer, and as a good salesperson make sure to explain the value of a high quality rotating closet and give examples of rental prices versus retail prices. Everyone is always amazed! If you have not taken a look yet, make sure to do it here! Rental is the new big thing!

Not only am I learning a lot about what it entails to be a fashion buyer, but the RTR Summer Internship Program has been amazing in teaching us, interns, more and more about the company and the business. Here are a couple of the things we participate in:

• Weekly “Lunch and Learns” where we have lunch with members of other departments to learn more about their duties and their function within the business.
  • Going to the RTR warehouse, which we call the DFC (Dream Fulfillment Center) and taking part of operations training.
  • Shadowing customer service and learning how to talk to customers via telephone and live chat.
  • Going to the Flatiron Store and the Hudson Styling Studio to become immersed into the retail process of RTR.

It is amazing how just a couple of years ago RTR was considered a start-up and now it has about 5.5 million members! I believe RTR is still in the growing phase of its business’ life cycle, so I cannot wait to see what the company has to bring in the future!