My Work with a Non-Profit

My name is Morgan Kuehnle and I am participating in an internship this summer for YWCA Hartford Region in Hartford, Connecticut. I am a rising junior at Babson College, an RA for the first year area living learning communities (Living Entrepreneurship and Living Social Change), a CWEL scholar, and a member of the Babson Women’s Rugby Team.

With the support of Babson’s Center for Career Development I am participating in my internship this summer with YWCA Hartford Region. As their mission states, “YWCA Hartford Region is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all.” YWCA is a nonprofit organization that runs different programs and events in order to provide women in the Hartford area with the support they need. These programs and events include Early Learning Childcare Centers, Emergency and Supportive Housing, The Money Conference for Women providing financial workshops to increase financial literacy for women, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance which provides low income tax filers with free income tax preparation, YW Career Women which provides assistance to women looking to go to college and build their careers, and the Young Women’s Leadership Corps which focuses on helping young women build their personal leadership style. With such a small team, YWCA provides a lot of assistance for women of all ages in this area.

The part I’m playing in this internship is to assist the Marketing Manager with marketing tasks in preparation for events coming up in the fall months. I will also be providing some assistance with the Young Women’s Leadership Corps Summer Institute by conducting leadership activities and team building initiatives. In just my first couple weeks I have already started reviewing things such an the Annual Report and Social Media in order to provide some fresh eyes to some improvements YWCA Hartford Region is looking to make with their marketing. This fast paced environment provides me with plenty of projects to work on and a lot to look forward to every day.

My future blog posts will provide updates on the projects I’m working on, lessons I’m learning, and any challenges I may face. I’m excited to work with this amazing organization and experience what it’s like to work in the non-profit environment.