Getting Started

It’s been a warm week here on Babson campus since most days have been above 70oF. Many students have taken advantage of the great weather by studying outside or playing casual games of catch on the lawn. I’ve been doing the same as I gear up for my internship which will be starting tomorrow! I’m very excited to be spending what is starting off as a beautiful summer working with the Melanoma Foundation of New England on a project that has been in the works for a few years now. In close partnership with a California based company called Bright Guard, MFNE is bringing sunscreen dispensers to parks, beaches, and schools across the country.

These dispensers can be fitted with organic or sport sunscreen, both are mixed without any harmful toxins. Parks and Rec departments are welcome to purchase the dispensers or may be gifted the dispensers by donations to MFNE and are able to reorder the sunscreen. This means that the sunscreen is free to the public which makes it accessible to anyone. I’m very happy to be a part of this project to help prevent the spread of melanoma and other skin cancers preventable by something as simple as sunscreen.

I chose to work with a nonprofit for my first internship because I’ve found that I need to pursue work that adds social value. I am a rising junior and I’m still not sure what exactly I will be doing to fulfill that need but nonprofits seem like a good place to start. By working with MFNE, I hope to gain a better understanding of the normal operations of a nonprofit and to narrow down what part of the business I am most interested in so that I can be useful to a “do-good” company.