Working a Career Fair
What’s the buzz around campus? It’s not just new classes, leaves turning colors and apples, but companies and alumni on campus. For students seeking full time jobs after graduation and organizations seeking top talent, welcome to the Recruiting season.
Make sure that you don’t miss any of these key events; Industry Spotlights and Career Expo. It’s time to get focused, gather information, develop an action plan and get creative!
How do you prepare for these events? There is a method to the madness so you can effectively and successfully maneuver through with positive results. Set a strategy for how to work the room and what you want to get out of the event
- Do your research. Find out who will be at the event and gather information about the company, industry and jobs that interest you.
- Sharpen your elevator pitch (tell me about yourself)
- Prepare a list of questions to ask employers
- Bring extra copies of your resume
- Dress for success (professionally)
Do’s and Don’ts
- Scope out the event; time, location, room set up, companies
- Speak to your target companies last
- Perfect your pitch and build self-confidence, before you speak your target company
- Shake hands firmly, make eye contact, and smile
- Ask if and how you can follow up
- Cut ahead of anyone
- Monopolize the recruiter’s time
- Interrupt someone who is speaking
- Chew gum
- Ask for the job or if the company is hiring
Attending a career fair or job expo is like auditioning for a part. Be prepared, do your homework and play your role…Be your authentic self. Show them who you are and what you have to offer that differentiates you from others. Leave a positive lasting impression!