Working with a Small vs. Large business

Before I began this internship, I knew that I’ve always been interested in working in the fashion industry. Although, I was unsure as to what department and role in the industry I’d fit best. Last summer, I interned in the buying office of a woman’s contemporary clothing boutique. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about the buying side of the business. Not until starting my internship this summer did I realized how much more I enjoyed working for a larger company rather than a small boutique. For example, working in a buying office with 3 employees to working for a company in an office with about 100 employees. This was a huge learning experience for me, as I about to begin applying for jobs it is important to know what kind of company I’m looking for. I enjoyed working with and getting to know everyone in different departments. The overall ambience and culture was a lot different between the small business and large company. At the larger company internship, every Thursday there is an office meeting where the CEO, head of HR, and finance team address all the weekly updates and news within the company. They give a full presentation of what’s been selling well, what new brands have agreed to start working with Moda Operandi, and goals/ forecasts for later seasons. I appreciated learning about how the work I was doing impacted the company and their financials. This 100 or so employee’s size company felt like the right fit for me, where I would be able to be on a first named basis with all of my co-workers and feel like the work I put in contributed to how well the company was doing.  This summer experience helped me get a better understanding of the type of business I plan to be a part of in my career.