Off to Boston – The Marketing Agency Trek!

CCD Guest Blog by Christianne Kinder ‘15

Last Friday, April 10th, I attended the Babson Marketing & Advertising Trek in downtown Boston coordinated by CCD. I, along with CCD members and three other Babson ugrads, Juliana Galofre ‘15, Samantha Becorest ‘16 and Rachel Secrist ’15 took off into the city and met up with current Babson MBA and MSM students for a day of learning from some of the leading marketing and advertising agencies in the country: @DigitasLBi, @Arnold and @Mullen! While we were surprised that more ugrads hadn’t signed up for this unique experience to talk to recruiters one-on-one and get a up close view of these companies, we expressed our excitement to see Babson alumni, get tours of the companies, and yes, network!

Digitas Visit 4.10.15   Arnold   Mullen Visit 4.10.15

All of the agencies welcomed us warmly with bagel breakfasts, a sandwich lunch, and snacks and beverages — the alumni and recruiters made great efforts to make us comfortable. I was impressed with the offices of each company, the day to day culture each portrayed, as well as the various awards each of them had received. I also found it interesting how each company we visited, while all in the Marketing and Advertising industry, had emphasis on different things that set them apart from one another. For instance, DigitasLBi took a technological approach to marketing/advertising through its dedication to stay up to date with new technologies and live trends. They even had some rooms dedicated to showcasing different technologies. Arnold took a well-rounded business development approach and I liked that they had three people who specialized in Business Marketing, Account Management, and Business Strategy talk to us about different ways of approaching marketing/advertising solutions. Mullen was especially interesting to me through its emphasis on taking a creative, “think out of the box” style of working with their clients to approach consumers.

The best part was definitely hearing the stories directly from Babson alumni about how they got to where they are today from when they graduated from @Babson. Juliana, Rachel and I are seniors, so hearing how a career in marketing/advertising might be after graduating from Babson helped us visualize where we want to take our careers.

I feel lucky to have had this experience and I would encourage more students to take advantage of such opportunities from CCD and Babson!