A Leap of Faith

Doubt, insecurity, anxiety… Perhaps these are what some of you might be feeling right now. If so, I want to tell you that you are not alone. I suppose it is only natural to feel anxious before making the decision of where you are going to spend the next four years of your life. I suppose it is only natural to feel nervous before committing to a large investment of both time and money. But the good news is, this is probably just one of the first critical life-choices you will have to make.

Some of you already have your hearts set on Babson College. Welcome and glad you can join the B-club. Some of you may have a pretty good idea of where you want to go. While others may still be lost and nowhere near a decision. Well, four years ago during this time of the year, I can tell you that I was completely lost. Being from a country halfway around the world from the US certainly did not help. I did not have the privilege of an interview, a campus tour or an information session. My tools of college-research were limited to a dial-up internet connection that seldom worked. Despite my doubt, there were signals that I certainly could not miss.

The Community

My school from K-12 had all but five hundred students. My graduating class size consisted of thirty-eight students. Our graduation ceremony took place in an auditorium of a small hotel. But the connections I made in that small community are gifts that I have come to cherish to this day. Likewise, Babson College offers exactly that type of community: it is one of the smaller private schools in the nation by student population. With a student-faculty ratio of 15 to 1, it gives me every opportunity to express my voice in such a small close-knit community.

The International Representation

One in four Babson College students is international. As such, the community’s diversity becomes its core strength as everyone brings something new to the table. As an international student, I feel my opinion is valued by my peers. At the same time, I get to experience interesting perspectives from others. The business world today is not limited to a single country and as such, Babson prepares its students to be global citizens.

The Balanced Academics

If you are a Babson Beaver, you have your heart set on business. At the end of the day, Babson College is a very unique and specialized institution. I knew business was what I wanted to study. However, I wondered whether I would get a chance to pursue my other passions from astronomy to French. What do you know, I had the privilege of studying French for three semesters at Babson as well as taking astronomy-related courses for two. And the courses all counted towards my degree. Although Babson College offers a strong business focus, it cultivates well-rounded students by offering a curriculum that offers both business and liberal arts courses. There is something here for everyone.

A couple of weeks after I got my Offer of Admission, I accepted the offer with a firm belief that I am making a right decision. Looking back, I realize that I have come a long way. I have been an athlete at Babson. I have consulted for a multi-billion-dollar sportswear company through Babson. I am an Honors student writing a 100-page thesis which counts towards my degree. I am the president of Babson Business in Asia Association. Submitting that green enrollment agreement was a decision that I have never looked back ever since. All it took was a few signs and a leap of faith.