Tips from an International Student…

It is a very special time of the year for college applicants. Choosing where you are going to spend the next four years of your life (especially if you are from a place far away) is a sensitive decision. As an international student from Myanmar, I faced a very difficult decision myself. I had my fair share of doubts: What about food? What about the weather? I hear it is very cold… What do I pack? How can I manage my finances? Well, here are my tips for those people who might be asking the same questions now regardless of where you are from:

FOOD…

Trim Dining Hall is the place to go for your everyday nutrition needs. As the core component of your meal plan, it delivers a diverse array of cuisines in an all-you-can-eat style. Expect varying dishes throughout the different seasons as well. The College offers additional options throughout campus such as the Crossroads Café, Olin Café, Dunkin’ Donuts, Jazzman’s, etc. However, if you want something different, the town of Wellesley is only a walk away. You will definitely find something for your taste-buds ranging from home-made Italian food, Indian bites, to Thai cuisine.

WEATHER…

Yes, it is very cold here from late fall to early spring. It was especially challenging for me as an individual coming from a tropical country. But if I have learned anything about the weather here, it is to battle the cold in LAYERS. You do not necessarily need the thickest and warmest jacket out there. The key is to dress in layers so that you can layer up as you head out and take off a few once you get into the warmth of your classrooms. I find earmuffs and gloves really helpful as well. If I made it, you can make it too.

PACKING…

PACK LIGHT. If there is something I wish I did differently before coming to Babson, it is to pack light. Chances are you will be moving from dorm to dorm at least once every two semesters. You would want to stick to basics. Trust me, you will thank me later. You can especially save money on luggage fees for those of you who are traveling internationally. Living an independent and minimalistic lifestyle is something you should definitely try. You will not regret it.

FINANCE MANAGEMENT…

I have one word for you… Excel. No kidding. It may seem rather amusing but I do have an Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of my finances. If I am spending beyond what I am earning this week, it is probably a good idea to not eat out the next week. Babson College offers many on-campus job opportunities which not only offer great experiences but also some financial leeway for you as well.

Well, there you have it. A huge part of the college experience is to learn to live on your own and deal with unexpected difficulties. If I have made it this far, you definitely can.