Broaden Your Horizons

deloitte-logo-2011As the final days to my internship are quickly approaching, I find it appropriate to reflect on my time at Deloitte and put into words the amazing experience I had here in Israel. It was not without luck that I had inadvertently been placed in the hands of such a compassionate and understanding company as Deloitte in the midst of a physical war, and had the fortune of joining a culture so devoted to the wellbeing of those around them that I was reassured of my place among the team daily. After close to 11 weeks of working as a consulting intern, I have learned so much more than the written responsibilities I was held accountable to.

This summer has reaffirmed my decision to continue pursuit of a consulting position following graduation. Coming from Babson however, a school akin to the likes of a business trade school; I realize I wanted to make some changes. Without a doubt, I would say that I was the most prepared, experienced, and well equipped for my position in comparison to my peers. The direct experience I gained from Babson and the most relevant fields I had exposure to in response to an ever changing market strongly verified my decision to attend. What I did realize however, was that I needed to demonstrate what I call the “imbalance gap.”

A well rounded or balanced professional is one who demonstrates skills in multidisciplinary facets of education and interests. Babson is horrible at demonstrating this from their students. Sorry, but just by saying that it teaches 50% business and 50% liberal arts doesn’t mean BabsonLogothat the students are equally as qualified to work in the field of biochemistry as they are in accounting. The real workings of Babson are found in the drive that the entrepreneurial-minded students exhibit in their approach to problem solving and working in teams. The imbalance gap is the difference between just being a business student and being a perfectly well-rounded student. For many at Babson, the gap is large, and strikingly so. Students need to broaden their horizons and explore their interests outside of business in order to make better business decisions. After this summer and my unique exposures, I’ve decided to say no to Babson’s concentrations, instead focus on analytics, foreign policy and city development, and have decided to take a semester off to explore my interests and reduce my imbalance gap.

Don’t blindly follow the path of those around you. There should never a finite definition of entrepreneurship; it is, and should always be changing.