Redefining Entrepreneurship with Purpose

Welcome to my first-ever blog!

For those of you who don’t know me, I am a soon-to-be sophomore at Babson College, though I am originally from a suburb near Toronto, Canada. Growing up, I was surrounded by extremely positive influences. My dad, who is no longer with us, poured his entire being into the company he founded. My mom has followed her passion and changes the lives of hundreds of children through her work as an Early Childhood Educator. Thus, I have always believed that you have to love what you do. Both of them inspired me to find what it is that gives my life meaning, and commit myself to it.

Entrepreneurship is exactly that. By my definition, entrepreneurship is the act of perceiving the world’s problems as opportunities and making positive change through business. My time at Babson College, as a leader, has confirmed my belief in this career as a path to my fulfillment.

Thanks to Babson College and their Undergraduate Center for Career Development, I have the amazing opportunity to pursue a summer internship in this field and share my unique journey with you as I develop my career!

The organization I am working with is called SoJo, short for social journey, and is a start-up hybrid social venture. Our mission is to “inspire and prepare young people to start businesses that tackle social problems” through a unique online educational networking platform. We are a small team based out of Ryerson University’s Digital Media Zone in Toronto, Canada. It is an exciting time to be on the team, as we are about to re-launch our entire website with extensive improvements!

My role is quite flexible, due to the unpredictable nature of this phase of the organization, which means I have the chance to work on everything from business documents to marketing efforts!

For the duration of this internship, I hope to apply the knowledge and experience I have gained through my first year in Babson College’s FME program to strategy and operations at SoJo.  In addition, I intend to follow the entrepreneurial journey of SoJo to better inform my own entrepreneurial journey.

With SoJo, I am experiencing what it takes to be engaged in the “social economy”, where human development and business development align.

I’ll be sure to keep you updated on my progress. Feel free to contact me if you want to learn more!