Undergraduate Blog / Admission

Essay Reflections

As our application review process winds down, our office has been reflecting on the students we’ve met and learned about along the way. While your high school transcript, testing, recommendations, and extracurricular involvement all play big roles in our decision-making process, for many of us, the essay is the highlight – myself included!  This is the only portion of your application where we hear directly from you and have the opportunity to get a sense of your voice and what is important to you.  Some of the essays that I have read this year conveyed stories of personal triumph, challenges and obstacles that you have overcome, or moments that defined who you are today.  As a result of reading these essays, I was inspired to answer one of our essay prompts myself to share part of my story with you.  As I began writing, I was reminded of how stressful it is to write the “perfect” essay!  My attempt is certainly far from perfect; I wonder how it would fare in our admission committee here at Babson…
Writing Tools

One way Babson defines itself is through the notion of creating great economic and social value everywhere. How do you define yourself and what is it about Babson that excites you?

Defining oneself is no easy task. This definition consists not only of how I view myself, but also how other people see me.  There is no concise dictionary entry that sums up who I am and all that I have accomplished.  However, I would begin by defining myself as a series of contradictions.  I tend to be shy with strangers, but my loved ones know me as outgoing and rather opinionated.  I enjoy socializing with family and friends, but sometimes all I want to do is stay home with a good book.  I find joy in a spontaneous adventure, but I also like to have a plan and direction.  These contradictions lend color and context to my self-portrait.  This portrait is embellished by the unique moments that help define me.  A proud “nerd,” I am passionate about history and literature. Don’t get me started on my thesis on First Ladies or my internship at Plimoth Plantation!  When I need to think and gain perspective, I head to the beach.  My favorite city is Washington, DC, and in a perfect world, I would be a character on “The West Wing.”

I brought all of these pieces of myself to Babson and each has played a role in my experience here.  When I first arrived on campus, I was looking forward to learning more about the business world and what this “entrepreneurship thing” was really all about.  Having been a member of the Babson community for almost two years now, it is the spirit of the campus that excites me.  I continue to be amazed and inspired by the new ideas that our students develop and make reality.  From our first-year students creating a business from the ground-up in FME to our alumni who are changing the world by spreading Babson’s entrepreneurial mindset everywhere they go.  The component of Babson that I have personally benefitted from is the notion that just as we define ourselves in a myriad of ways, so too can entrepreneurship be defined on a personal level.  While I will probably never start my own business like a traditional entrepreneur, I can make every effort to think creatively, find new and different solutions to problems, and affect positive change.  This mindset will only continue to enhance my definition of myself and that is all thanks to Babson!